Pages

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Cyborg inspired nails

As I mentioned in my previous post I love Halloween. The main reason is that I really enjoy dressing up and I don't get many opportunities to do it in my day to day life. This year I was invited to a sci-fi themed party, and the first thing that popped into my head was being a cyborg. I usually go all-out when it comes to costume making, but this year I didn't have a lot of time in advance to put something together. Eventually I decided to go for a terminator-inspired look, where I used makeup to create cyborg pieces showing through wounds. The party was last night, and while I don't have a lot of experience doing this kind of thing the end result was pretty good!

Of course I had to do my nails to match my costume. I decided to do something similar to my circuit board nails as I figured it had the right look without being over-the-top obvious. It also matched really well with the dress I ended up wearing. Thankfully this did not take anywhere near as long as my last attempt!




I did this design by putting on a base coat of "Celeb City" by Sally Hansen, then laid down some striping tape and painted a layer of "Black Out", also by Sally Hansen, on top. I'm really happy with the end result, though I feel like they don't make sense unless you see the whole costume. So here's the final look all put together:


You can't see all of the "wounds" I did very well, there's one on my shoulder and one on the back of my hand. They were hard to get in a picture! I also got a red grid pattern contact to complete the look, here's a close up to show it off:



It's safe to say I creeped a lot of people out! This costume isn't my best work ever, but given the time I had to put it together I'm pretty happy with it. Can't wait to do it all over again next year!

1 comment: